I’ve been thinking a lot about how I want to structure the blog, what worked for me last time, and what things were most enjoyable. One of the things that first popped into my head was Monday Runday. They were hands-down the most requested/favorited/talked about posts I did, and the ones people told me regularly that they looked forward to the most. They were also posts that I really enjoyed creating: they allowed me to feel connected to the running community, keep up on the sport’s news; and learn about new workouts, people, or events. Therefore, without further ado, I present to you…
All the news that’s fit to sprint!
- Thinking about a Fall marathon? These workouts are great predictors for expected finish times. (At least as effective as guessing.)
- Like every other runner on the planet, I’ve been meaning to do the little stuff. Promise. I’ll start tomorrow. Here are some things to put on your list.
- Forget running like a Kenyan (it’s never gonna happen, man). You can cool down like one… and should.
- It turns out that marriage and babies impact your fitness routines.
Eats Shoots and Leaves
- I’m always looking for new things to eat, and new justifications for what I’m gonna eat anyway. This Competitor article highlights some hidden carb-loading sources. Who knew that pasta sauce was carb-central? (yaaaassss).
Names and Faces
- At 41, and as a new mom, Jo Pavey has her sights set on Rio.
- Tyson Gay, whose suspension for doping came to an end in June 2014, is working with a new coach.
- Nick Symmonds took some time off from day-dreaming about our life together to answer some questions about his training progress, Rio, and the state of US running.
- The drug testing/enforcement policies across the NCAA are pretty inconsistent. So there’s that.
Jam of the Week
This is a new feature I’m trying, because the right jam is just as valuable in training (for me) as a solid workout. This week’s jam is courtesy of Cely over at Running Off the Reeses.
Elle King’s “Exes and Ohs”